In 1832 three separate villages occupied the ground where the City of Rahway now stands. They were divided from each other by the three branches of the Rahway River and undrained meadows. The Rahway River also was the boundary between the counties of Essex and Middlesex. The northern most village situated in Essex County was called Upper Rahway. The other two villages lying south of the river in Middlesex County were Milton and Bridgetown, also called Lower Rahway.
Early in 1933, thirteen people united in adopting articles of faith and organized themselves into The First Baptist Church of Rahway. These Constitute members were:
Susan Bartow Mary Cox Mary Day Ezra Frazee Huldah Frazee Mary Frazee
Rhoda Laing William Marsh Frances Moore Sarah Mundy Mary Osborn Sarah Ross
Shortly after the organization of the church they took steps toward the erection of a house of worship. The building was located in downtown Rahway on Milton Ave. near the intersection with Second St. which is now known as Irving St.
Here is a description of Rahway from 1834. The town consists of from 350 – 400 houses, population about 3,000. Stores of various kinds, taverns, public buildings and churches. One Academy called the Athenian, another called the Boarding School. Six other schools were located in the town. One bank, a post office, a newspaper office, an incorporated fire engine company and a mutual insurance company. There is a railroad from Jersey City to New Brunswick that passes through the town. Five vessels dock in Rahway, two leave to New York each day.
To be continued…