The first Pillar of Fire church in Liberia was established in the 1950's in the Po River Beach area by John Potee, a native Liberian. By 1963, the church had spread to several other locations within the country. Throughout the 1960's Pillar of Fire sent various missionaries from both England and the US to assist in the work being done in Liberia.
Due to the political unrest and eventual breakout of war in Liberia in the 1980's and 1990's, Pillar of Fire missionaries found it necessary to leave the country for their own safety. As with most of the country, during this time of war many Pillar of Fire congregations were ransacked by rebels and partially destroyed. Equipment such as cars, boats, tools and power generators were either stolen or destroyed.
Currently, Liberia is in the process of recovering from almost two decades of destruction, violence and upheaval that left homes, lives and families shattered. Pillar of Fire churches and schools are once again operating; seeking to provide the people of Liberia with the love, freedom and hope found only in Jesus Christ.
Pillar of Fire operates schools in two locations within Liberia: Buchanan and the Po River Beach area. The school in Buchanan consists of both an elementary school and a high school, with a combined total of about 240 students. The Po River school has about 90 students, from kindergarten up through 9th grade.
Click here for more information about Pillar of Fire Missions